/* Google verification tag */ Indian School of Business: Round-1 2008-09 Mumbai Interview Experience - 1
Indian School of Business

Round-1 2008-09 Mumbai Interview Experience - 1

The following is the interview experience of male candidate on Novemebr 16, 2007 at Mumbai.
The panel consisted of two members. The essay was on 'Sunset' - 100 words - I think I rambled on about beautiful colours, romanticism, melancholy, hope, and god know what else.
The interview was very casual - unfortunately - I don't think it went very well for me. They started with my profile - I'll just briefly mention it here - as my interview was mostly about my profile.
1) Did my architecture from Chandigarh - its one of the oldest andbest colleges for architecture
2) Did a masters in Building Engineering and Management from SPA,Delhi - again one of the best
3) Joined Cushman & Wakefield in their project management division -worked there for 2 years
4) Started my own business in project management and have been workingon my own for the past one and a half years.
  1. First question was why - after such a good progression - working greatin the company - you left all of a sudden to start your own business. I mentioned that I was working on a project and the client asked me if I could provide them with project management service - I discussedthis with a colleague and we decided to go into business togetherservicing the client.
  2. He then asked why I wanted to leave my business which was juststarting for and MBA. I mentioned that till date I have been pluggingin holes in my education - after architecture I realised that actualconstruction was something I hardly knew about so I joined construction management and now after working for more than a year inmy own firm I realised that I needed to learn more about finance and HR.
  3. Next they asked about my essays - specially the second one - simplestuff - nothing major.
  4. Then they came back to my business and how I though ISB would help meout. I mentioned that even after getting such a good start and workingfor one of the largest merchant bankers in the world - I was unable to really expand my business and even after one and half years I'm still stuck with the single client.
  5. He asked me what areas I though I neededto improve and I mentioned finance and HR - as resourcing was one ofthe major problems I've been facing - and I really do not know how toexpand.
  6. Then they asked me if I would like to major in finance - and Ireplied yes - alongwith entrepreneurship.
  7. They asked me if after oneyear I would get an offer from a big real estate firm or a finance firm - would I take up that offer. I mentioned that as of now my intention was to come back and expand my business - however you never know what can happen in a year.
  8. Then things started going bad - he asked how specifically I felt that an MBA would help me in resourcing as well as generating money toexpand the firm. I was confused at first - and then mentioned that if I understand more about finance and HR - study other cases such as mine I'm sure I would be able to run a better business. Didn't seem to go down too well with them. He worded the same question a bit differently and asked me that at the start of your business - when you're not sure of the finance - you're planning to spend 18-20 lakhs in a course - which would result in huge EMIs once you come out - add to that business expenses - how would this help out your business. I knew I was dead - but nevertheless I smiled and mentioned that I felt this 18-20 lakhs was an investment in myself and I knew that I would do well after an MBA.
  9. Then they asked me if I had missed out something in my application or hasn't come up in my interview. I mentioned that I'm not sure if its important - but while filling my application - I missed out the factthat I love to read. Reading is such an integral part of my life -that it didn't seem important. Only after reading my application later- did I realise this.
  10. Then they asked me about any recent book I hadread - so I mentioned 'The Count of Monte Cristo'.
  11. Then it was the standard dialogue of whether I wanted to ask them anything. By now I felt that I had already bumbled enough - so I said no and said goodbyes to both of them.

0 comments:

COMMENT POLICY

Comments on this blog are made DOFOLLOW for the Google Spiders. Comments are moderated. Spam will not be tolerated.